Sane/Customizable Hardware Tier Selection Sort Order

jeff.keller
jeff.keller Member Posts: 7
edited February 2020 in Feature Requests

The menu that Domino users interact with to select a project/workspace/job hardware tier lists the options is a bizarre order (see image). At first I thought this might be the order in which the hardware tiers were defined by an admin, but this does not appear to be the case. This order should be something sane, probably alphabetical as the default. Optionally, it would be nice if admins could customize this order, with the default hardware tier at the top (which I think is already the case).

Tagged:
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• jeff.keller
    jeff.keller Member Posts: 7

My current guess is that the list is sorted by # cores (descending) and then by name (Z-A), with the global default pinned to the top of the list.

• zach.ingraham
    zach.ingraham Member, Administrator, Moderator, Domino Posts: 53 admin

I checked the code, and the sort order is actually a bit more complicated than I expected it to be, but if I read it correctly, then I can confirm that you correctly deduced the bulk of it.

Default is first

Then sort by number of GPUs (I think this is just to separate GPU machines from CPU machines)

Then sort by number of run slots available

Then sort by cores

Then sort by memory

There's nothing to explicitly sort by Alpha after that AFAICT, but it could be an implicit sorting or a leftover from some other step.

I'm surprised we were this specific - looks like we tried to be very here, but it seems like it's mostly just confusing.