GDPR - delete file

tasneem.ghayas
tasneem.ghayas Member Posts: 11

Due to GDPR I have to delete the file I upload after processing using the Launcher. I delete the file but with the Revert Project options I could retrieve the deleted confidential data as well. Is it possible to delete a file without being saved it in domino file versions?

Answers

• katie.shakman
    katie.shakman Administrator, Domino Posts: 257 admin
    edited September 2020

Hi @tasneem.ghayas ,

There is functionality to fully delete sensitive files in Domino 4.x, which you can read about here in the 4.1 release notes: https://docs.dominodatalab.com/en/4.1/release_notes/4-1.html?highlight=full%20delete#november-2019

Keep in mind that this will fully delete all files that contain identical contents to the one you fully delete, across all of your deployment of Domino.

Katie

Field Data Scientist @ Domino

• tasneem.ghayas
    tasneem.ghayas Member Posts: 11

Thanks for answering Katie. There is no way to delete a file completely by a user rather than a admin? I have few other questions below could you please answer them as well.

1. How many version of files within project are stored? (1,2,..10..)
    2. Is it possible to parametrize in this scope (number of stored version) and also in the time range in which the files are stored? (we have some formal time limitation related to data retention

Thank you.

• dan.stern
    dan.stern Member, Moderator, Domino Posts: 37 mod

Hi Tasneem,

The full file delete in the 4.1+ versions of Domino is reserved for administrators since fully deleting files will delete all instances and revisions of the file, including in projects that are a fork of the project where the file is being deleted. Since it can impact other users projects it is reserved as an administrator task.

1) How many version of files within project are stored? (1,2,..10..)?

Domino is intended to be a system of record, so we keep all revisions of all files. The 'Full Delete' option will delete all revisions of the files. As noted above it will also delete any copies of the files that are in forks of the project as well.

Performing a full delete on a file finds all instances of the file’s contents across all revisions of all projects, erases those contents wherever they appear, and replaces them with a message indicating that the file was subject to a full delete. This will affect all files that have identical contents to the target file, even if they have different filenames. It will not affect files with the same filename if they have different contents.

2) Is it possible to parametrize in this scope (number of stored version) and also in the time range in which the files are stored? (we have some formal time limitation related to data retention.

I'm a little unclear on what you are asking here, but the full delete is limited to all or nothing so don't believe this is currently possible. If you would like to share some specifics of the data retention policy you have I can submit a request to engineering to add the functionality.